If for some reason you missed the initial round of the City of East Lansing’s no-fee curbside collection of yard waste, have no fear: round two is right around the corner.
Before that gets underway, in conjunction with the annual spring move-out of students, the Department of Public Works (DPW) will provide a week’s worth of bulk item pickup beginning Monday, May 4.
DPW will then begin a second round of free yard waste collection on Monday, May 11, for East Lansing residences east of Abbot Road.
The upcoming collection schedule looks like this:
- Monday, May 4 – Bulk item collection offered throughout the week (see guidelines below); no yard waste collection this week.
- Week of May 11 – No-fee yard waste collection offered on the City’s east side (residences east of Abbot Road).
- Week of May 18 – No-fee yard waste collection offered on City’s west side (residences west of Abbot Road).
- Week of May 25 – Memorial Day; no yard waste or bulk item collection this week.
- Week of June 1 – Regular yard waste and bulk item collection services to resume if City offices have re-opened to the public (to accommodate sale of bags/stickers).
Bulk item collection: Community members can call (517) 337-9459 during current office hours (Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-3 p.m.) to make collection requests and provide payment over the phone. Advanced requests are required and can be made until 10 a.m. Friday, May 8.
To avoid being fined, community members should not leave items at the curb without first making a request and providing payment. There is a $20 fee for each bulk item ($42 for items containing freon). Bulk items include furniture, appliances, carpet, mattresses and other large rubbish items that exceed 40 pounds and/or do not fit in a refuse cart or yellow City trash bag.
Yard waste collection: On no-fee yard waste collection days, it is not necessary to make advanced requests or use yard waste stickers or bags, but all other guidelines do apply:
- Yard waste includes leaves, plant material, grass clippings and brush/limbs.
- Yard waste may be placed at the curb no earlier than 8 p.m. the day before collection and no later than 7:30 a.m. the day of collection.
- Yard waste must be contained within a paper yard waste bag or rigid, 32-gallon plastic container.
- Bags and rigid, 32-gallon plastic containers must weigh no more than 40 pounds and bags should be stored in a dry location prior to being placed at the curb.
- Brush/limbs can also be bundled with string/twine. Bundles may not be more than 4 feet long and 1 foot in diameter. Individual limbs must be 4 inches in diameter or less and bundles must not weigh more than 40 pounds.
For additional information, contact the Department of Public Works at (517) 337-9459. Staff is currently available Monday-Friday from 8 a.m.-3 p.m.